Why Ketonix rather than a urine or blood test for ketones?
As always there is a short and a long answer, the short answer is:
Ketones are formed by breaking down fatty acids in your liver and can be used instead of glucose. When your body breaks down fat and creates ketones your body is in a state called ketosis. There are many advantages to using fat as energy source instead of sugar (carbohydrates). There are also many reasons for choosing a diet that gets your body into a ketogenic state, some therapeutic uses include the treatment of epilepsy, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, increased fertility and weight loss. Ketosis is not the same state as ketoacidosis which can occur when a person with diabetes type 1 has a very high blood sugar level combined with a high concentration of ketones.
High blood sugar is caused mainly by sugar and carbohydrates, not fat. A ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrates, moderate in protein and high in fat and it normalises the blood sugar in your body. Any required glucose in your blood, body can be produced from protein.
Being in ketosis can have a huge advantage sports men and women. When your body has adapted to using fat as fuel, the muscles use fat and the brain and heart use ketones. The muscles and brain do not compete to get fuel as can happen when glucose fuelled. We have all seen the result of this competition for glucose, a phenomenon called bonking where athletes often collapsed just before reaching the finish line.
Additionally the production of lactic acid is minimized when you muscles are burning fat for fuel.
There are three main ketones used by the human body being acetoacetate, acetone and beta-hydroxybutyrate.
Acetoacetate, is formed either from the breaking down of fatty acids in the liver or from the beta-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase, which is why testing blood for beta-hydroxybutyrate may not yield accurate results. Acetone is formed from the acetoacetate which we know is the ketone that is directly used for energy so all we need to do is test the level of acetone to know our level of ketosis.
This is exactly what the ketonix does, it tests for acetone in our breath, think keto breath, and calculates the level of ketosis from the acetate concentration.
In case you want to read the long version, it can be found here
Ketonix is an excellent alternative to keep track of your ketosis compared to urine and blood tests.
The Ketonix has a onetime cost and is simple to use. It has never been easier to see if you are producing ketones!
What’s the advantage of using Ketonix instead of urine strips and/or blood ketone meters?
- Urine strips indicate the excess concentration of acetoacetate in the urine. Ketonix indicates the acetone in your breath. Acetone is produced from the breakdown of acetoacetate in blood. Measurement units are not the same; the concentration of acetoacetate in blood is higher due to less volume (higher density) and is typically measured in mmol/l. The concentration of acetone in breath is lower due to much more volume (lower density) and is measured in PPM. Again, urine strips measures acetoacetate in urine, blood meters measures beta-hydroxybutyrate in blood and Ketonix measures acetone in breath (air).
- Urine strips can only be used once whereas the Ketonix is reusable and can be used over and over again.
- Urine strips show a historical value of the excess production, the Ketonix shows a real-time value of what’s in the blood right now!
- Urine strips tests need urine and somewhere to perform the test. You can perform tests with the Ketonix wherever you can access a powered USB port. Never use the Ketonix in vehicles while driving.
- Urine strips need to be disposed of whereas the Ketonix is simply stored in the bag that was included in the box.
- Urine strips cost per test. Ketonix is a one-time investment!
- Blood ketone meters measure beta-hydroxybutyrate in blood, not acetoacetate or acetone.
- Blood ketone measuring requires strips which are expensive
- Blood ketone measurements sometimes fail and cost you double as you have to redo them!
- Blood ketone meter values can differ between devices, even when it is the same model and brand.
- Blood values are measured in mmol/l, and gas ranges in PPM. This is of course due to the higher density of blood than air. Therefore the blood ketone concentration of beta-hydroxybutyrate is not the same as the concentration of acetone in breath, just as the concentration of acetoacetate in urine is not the same as concentration of beta-hydroxybutyrate in blood.
As always, we do not take any responsibility for your usage of the Ketonix. You should always consult your doctor/dietician before changing/experimenting with your diet!